Twitter has been around for 7 years now. It’s weird to say “I remember when” when it comes to something like Twitter. As different as it is today from it’s original concept, Twitter has changed the way many of us communicate and share information.
In honor of Twitter’s 7th Birthday here are 10 Things Business Should Know About Twitter (2013) Edition:
1. Twitter sees 400 million tweets per day (2012 saw 340 million) Source
2. 55% of Twitter users are female Source
3. 36 minutes is the average amount of time spent on Twitter Source
4. Twitter has 500 million registered users. 140 million are in the US. Source
5. 28% of African American use Twitter. 13% use Twitter daily (technically 2 stats but…) Source
6. 16% of Internet users say they use Twitter Source
7. Mobile users are 78% more likely to Retweet a brand Source
8. 1 in 3 Twitter users tweet about TV Source
9. 3 out of 10 people watch a TV show after discovering it on Twitter Source
10. 39% of users exposed to a retailers tweet made a purchase Source
I joined Twitter in December of 2008 as @3sixteenweb (now @bjstrawter). My life has never been the same. Here is my first tweet:
early to rise today, must have coffee
— Billy Strawter Jr (@bjstrawter) December 10, 2008
Do you remember what your first tweet was?